From the list of 264 noncompliant private higher education institutions (HEIs) previously released by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and the Unified Student Financial Assistance System on Tertiary Education (UniFAST) in June, 20 schools remain to be noncompliant in their billing requirements to the Private Education Assistance Committee (PEAC) thus delaying the processing and disbursing of the Tertiary Education Subsidy (TES) stipends to 500 TES grantees for Academic Year 2019-2020.

[gview file=”https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/List-of-no-billing-submissions_Sept-2020.pdf”]

PEAC processes the TES billings of private HEIs and endorses these billing claims to CHED and UniFAST for payment, and those private schools that have already received the TES stipends are those TES billings that have been endorsed by PEAC to the UniFAST Secretariat and CHED.

A total of 253,585 continuing and new TES beneficiaries from 1,247 private HEIs nationwide were validated for AY 2019-2020 to receive the TES grant.

To date, UniFAST has processed 91% of the billing claims endorsed by PEAC for 234,436 grantees in 943 private HEIs. The 20 schools are part of the remaining 9% that consists mostly of billing claims yet to be endorsed by PEAC to UniFAST from 304 private HEIs with a total of more than 15,000 grantees.

“The CHED and UniFAST staff have been reminding these HEIs to immediately comply with their billing submission requirements so their student-grantees can immediately receive the subsidy due in their last academic year especially now that classes for AY 2020-2021 have started,” said CHED and UniFAST Board Chairman J. Prospero E. De Vera III.

PEAC has reached out to these private schools to follow-up on their submissions. While some of the schools are in a rush to comply, most of them were unavailable to answer calls.

While CHED recognizes that the quarantine imposed during the COVID-19 pandemic may have delayed the submission by these private HEIs, nine months have passed and these HEIs still have not complied. The TES Management System Portal was opened in January for these HEIs to submit their TES billing documents. Their students continue to suffer from their inaction. The Commission will now look into how these HEIs can be penalized for not following their responsibilities in the Memorandum of Agreement they signed with CHED.

Students enrolled in private HEIs who are eligible in the TES Program will receive PhP 60,000.00 per academic year if they belong to the Department of Social Welfare and Development – National Household Targeting Office (DSWD-NHTO) Listahanan 2.0 or they reside and study in private HEIs in cities and municipalities where there is no existing public university or college. The TES benefit covers payment for their tuition and education-related expenses.

 

(SIGNED)
J. PROSPERO E. DE VERA III, DPA
Chairman
Commission on Higher Education and UniFAST Board

Download PDF version