The Commission on Higher Education (CHED) signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the Office of the Ombudsman (OMB) and the University of the Philippines (UP) System to promote and safeguard public interest, educate the youth, and instill ethical and moral standards in universities and colleges all over the country.
CHED, represented by Chairman Prospero E. De Vera III, together with Ombudsman Samuel R. Martires and UP System President Danilo L. Concepcion signed the MOA today, September 26, at the Board of Regents Room at the University of the Philippines-Diliman, Quezon City.
The tripartite undertaking is an initiative of Ombudsman Martires to foster collaboration among CHED, UP System and OMB to help promote transparency in government and strengthen the mechanisms of democratic accountability and efficiency. The group also aims to instill ethical and moral values and empower citizens especially the youth sector as key players in nation building and human development.
“CHED welcomes and commends this worthy initiative of Ombudsman Martires to target young people and build the foundation of an ethical and moral future for the country. We commit the full support of the Commission and will mobilize the close to 2,000 public and private universities starting today,” De Vera said.
Under this agreement, CHED will do the following:
1. Facilitate the production of information and education materials on ethics and accountability and disseminate these materials for the use of professors teaching the Ethics subject under the General Education curriculum in universities; organize workshops for General Education professors in the teaching of the subject on Ethics; and disseminate these materials to other education stakeholders;
2. Initiate, together with higher education institutions (HEI), the development of a subject on Ethics and Accountability in the Public Service that can be offered as an elective in universities and colleges;
3. Mobilize the expertise of the Ombudsman in the review and improvement of the General Education curriculum particularly in the ethics subject, and in the other projects and activities of the Commission;
4. Support the conduct of fora and symposia in HEIs on ethics and accountability with the participation of the Ombudsman and other government agencies; and
5. Support the activities of university-based youth groups that promote ethics, accountability and good governance in the various universities.
The Commission will soon sign a Memorandum of Understanding with TVUP, University of the Philippines’ Internet Television Network, for the production of video materials consistent with the MoU.
J. PROSPERO E. DE VERA III, DPA
Commission on Higher Education