More than 800 Bicolanos from the higher education and technical-vocational sector attended the “Nationwide Information Caravan for R.A. 10931 or Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education Act (UAQTEA)” at the Legazpi City Center Convention Center, Legazpi City on April 27, 2018.
Participants were oriented on the four programs under the UAQTEA such as 1) Free tuition, miscellaneous and other similar or related fees defined by the IRR to students admitted in SUCs and LUCs starting Academic Year (AY) 2018-2019; 2) Tertiary Education Subsidy (TES) or grants-in-aid; 3) free Technical-Vocational Education and Training (TVET) for those enrolled in state-run Technical-Vocational Institutions (TVIs); and 4) Student Loan Program (SLP).
Guest of honor Albay 2nd District Representative Joey Sarte-Salceda, who pioneered Free Higher Education in the province of Albay during his term as governor and pushed for the passage of UAQTEA, convinced the audience why the Free Education Law is timely and necessary.
“College graduates get higher daily wage by 116%…kung nag-college ka, kontra sa nag-high school ang lamang mo, syento disisais porsyento. It comes from not just better knowledge, better skills, but better worldview or attitude and sense of empowerment (gained) from higher education,” Salceda exclaimed.
There are nine (9) State Universities and Colleges, and 17 Local Colleges that will offer
Free Higher Education in the Bicol region:
- Bicol University
- Bicol State College of Applied Sciences and Technology
- Camarines Norte State College
- Camarines Sur Polytechnic Colleges
- Catanduanes State University
- Central Bicol State University of Agriculture
- Dr. Emilio B. Espinosa, Sr. Memorial State College of Agriculture and Technology
- Partido State University
- Sorsogon State College
- Community College of Manito
- Ligao Community College
- Baao Community College
- Calabanga Community College
- Caramoan Community College
- City College of Naga
- Daraga Community College
- Libon Community College
- Oas Community College
- Polangui Community College
- Rapu-Rapu Community College
- San Jose Community College
- Sorsogon Community College
- Donsol Community College
- San Pascual Polytechnic College
- Aroroy Municipal College
- Governor Mariano E. Vilafuerte Community Colleges